What is Leading Innovation?
Competitive demands require quicker, more efficient and innovative problem solving. Problem solvers are needed to provide solutions to increasingly complex problems quickly, develop and design new and innovative products and processes – and at the same time, reduce operating time and costs.
Creative thinking is a critical skill required by all people within their roles at work. Trial and error are how most problems are solved – the thinker creates an idea and determines if it will work. Not only is trial and error limited by personal knowledge, but thinking is also constrained by a “stuckness” in how things are and how they should be.
What are the outcomes?
- Diminished “stuckness” in your thinking
- Increased pace of problem-solving
- More effective discussions with others to help them think differently
- Increased use of existing resources and knowledge to innovate solutions
• • •
What are the areas of focus?
While every innovation development process changes to meet your people and teams where they are, the following areas of focus are meant to share what will be accomplished and developed.
Creativity to Innovation
Using a mixture of creative problem solving and brain based leadership models, participants develop solutions to existing organizational problems. The workshop is highly interactive and learner-centered.
We begin with an experiential exploration of the five roles of a leader in creative and innovative organizations and then introduce the creative problem-solving model developed by Alex Osborne and Sidney Parnes.
The workshop takes a deeper exploration into the Creativity to Innovation model by…
- The session on chaos and creativity involves some rule breaking and pattern smashing, which frees participants up from their usual way of approaching problems or challenges and demonstrates how to inject energy to achieve goals.
- The session further shifts the participants’ innovation methods to explore solutions that are known, unknown, observed and unobserved.
Completing the Ideas Grid
- The session generates and refines potential action steps to move solutions through acceptance and into implementation.
We end our time with learning simulations to test the application of the creative process and transfer our creative ideas into innovative solutions.
Blocks to Creativity and Innovation; Tools to Release Creativity and Innovation
When you face a challenge and, have to solve a problem you need to figure out how to fix it. You need to improve upon what already exists and can prove useful to people besides yourself.
We define innovation as a repeatable system that drives behavior in people; one that is goal driven to fix an existing problem or to fix a hypothesized future problem.
When there are no problems, you have no reason to innovate.
Most problems don’t require outside-the-box solutions. For most of where you need innovation, you already have or have access to the needed resources, skills, and knowledge. Most often, you are just stuck in the way of thinking and need a path to become unstuck.
- Understanding the 5 Roles of a Leader in a creative and innovative organization
- Transfer and application of creative ideas into innovative practices
- Understanding of a variant method of brainstorming and how to select the best solutions
- Increased creative solutions to current situations
Leading for Change
Organizations are going to change.
For a change to be successful, leaders need to distinguish between necessary and unnecessary changes, and then be able to lead others collaboratively and enthusiastically to the appropriate changes. Cooperating with change requires leadership that is competent and capable of implementing the plans necessary to remain in business.
If management can combine the changes and set the direction, the company will grow into its potential. This does not happen by chance or fate. It occurs when leaders can take the change vision and articulate it in a way so that everyone understands and can collaborate.
- Know the levels of change within an organization
- Increase promotion of idea development
- Understand when to bring the right people together for a change to take place
- Mission definition geared toward ensuring that change happens
- Effective planning and implementation of change
- Increase organizational acceptance of change